Monday, October 03, 2005

time to update

Hey guys! So I have more pictures, more things to rejoice about, and things to complain about.

First things: my room is much smaller than my roommates. I'm trying to figure this out with housing, but I pay the same amount as they do. I have two windows, while they have one, but they have at least 3 feet in length over my room. I want to pay less.

I have been told by two profs and a grad student not to drop the modeling class, it'll be good for me, and everyone gets an A. I don't want a stinking A if I don't deserve it! And what if I'm the one person in the history of the class to get an F!?! I'm still debating about dropping the class. On the good side, apparently I have until the last day of classes to drop it!

OK, updates.

week of Sept.19, I went to Bodega to help another grad student take algae surveys. Not super exciting, but I miss the ocean! Later that week, I went to dinner at my advisor's house and a house cooling party at a labmates house. Both pretty fun. On that Friday I went mud sampling from creeks in Salinas with one of my Profs. Some of those creeks were NASTY! Why would you ever just dump something like a whole couch in a creek?!? In any case this is a pretty sunset over Salinas.

week of Sept.26, didn't do much. I went to the ranch 99 with Tim's little brother, and on the way we had an adventure driving around. For lunch we had a great pizza at Cheeseboard, got lost, and then drove down a cool street in North Berkeley, to finally find our way. However, driving down that street (which reminded me of home) made me want to take public trasportation over the weekend. Why? Well, because: 1. I wanted to learn how to use the buses, 2. I didn't want to use my car and lose my spot during the Saturday game, and 3. I wanted to go to . . .the yarn store. So, I learned how to use public transportation, and look what it led me to do! This is the bag not finished, . . . and finished.

Total it took me 6-7 hours to knit and 1.5 to do the finishing. WARNING, I know I hate the lack of surprise for Christmas presents, but you may all be getting one of these for Christmas, because I think they are super cute! GIVE ME COLOR PREFERENCES!!! Two colors of any shade you can think of will suffice! :)

I also discovered that I can take a bus almost directly from that yarn store (Stash) in that cool Berkeley neighborhood, to an equally cool yarn store (Article Pract) in a not so nice Oakland neighborhood. The things you learn taking public transit!
I also got to take more public transit the next day, into SF to visit Melissa and Greg's new place! Thanks for taking me produce shopping with you guys!

Other notes and old pictures I need to catch up on posting:
I have begun watching The Food Network again, and I now want to cook great things like this:

Doesn't that look delicious? It's a picture from the tailgate at Princeton when I visited a few weeks ago, and the picture looked to delicious to pass up posting.

And finally, I have fallen in love with Ugly Dolls. This isn't a picture of one, but it's a picture that someone drew on the blackboard in the dining hall at Friday Harbor. It reminds me of an Ugly Doll! :)


OK, that's it! I think I'll be seeing almost everyone this weekend, so I'm excited!

2 comments:

Freecia said...

I love how I can wait until a week before finals to change to an audit.

Totally agree with the "what's with everyone getting an A?!" if they don't deserve one. There seems to be this unwritten contract between teachers and students nowadays. I don't bug them and they don't give me below a B-. Yeah, it's grad school, but honestly... Be a little more discrimating. Don't give an A for anything but outstanding work. Whatever came of expecting the best? Undergrads at SCU should be so glad I'm not a TA. I'd be so mean.

Maulik said...

I'd like maroon and charcoal, please. Heh, I had ap prof in grad school that kicked you out if you had anything below a B at the midterm to ensure that he only gave good grades to people who deserved it.