By Chinua Achebe
The strength of this book about a country so far away, and so long ago, is amazing. The rawness of the book, and the simplicity of the words, portrays something so foreign to me that it almost alienates me, but then pulls me back into the tight circle of horrors. I know so little about Africa's culture, colonization, and exploitation, that there is no reason for me to really understand. However, Achebe is able to force me to feel as an African man just at the cusp of the European invasion.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember reading this book for a comparative literature class in college and it was amazing the force and depth of the emotions. I agree that it was also very alien feeling to me as I also had (and still have) very little idea of Africa's history. But I felt that the story was well conveyed and that the characters pulled you in; that they were made to feel real to you.
Post a Comment