Saturday, August 13, 2005

Finally, a real post

OK, so I know that I keep on saying things like, oh, I'll post pictures on our group blog, but then it never happens. So now I've made my own little space to do this. First of all an update. I've been on San Juan Island, WA for about 9 weeks now. It's the last week of classes coming up, and then I'm off to Berkeley. Literally, less than 24 hours after I get home. There are definitely a few pictures that I want to post, and I'm not sure if I want to go backwards in time or just go from now! Well, I guess I'll just post a few at a time and have it at that.

So I guess the best way to start is with almost exactly 6 months ago, this week in Char's life:

I was trying to figure out what grad school to go to. Along the way, I had a ton of cool adventures. Almost exactly 6 months ago, I went to visit Davis' marine station at Bodega Bay. It's an amazingly beautiful place, but I would have to say even a bit more remote than where I am. Although, the nearest real "city/town" is only 20-30 minutes away, rather than an hour ferry ride away.
I decided to drive around and visit a sheep and goat farm, as you can see from the first two pictures. I got to learn how to make felt and the lady that owned the farm was really sweet.

The drive there was beautiful, with a ton of pretty and historic looking buildings that were made for a postcard.
I really wish I had a good camera with me, but all I had was my camera phone, so "click" and the picture was taken. I passed a beautiful little Church on top of a little hill. I decided not to go in, but just drove around it.
There was a cute little schoolhouse that I had to drive by twice to get a good pic, but this one actually looks like a historic building, although I wasn't completely sure. Do they still have one room schoolhouses? It's out of an episode of "Little House on the Praire."
Finally, what else was I doing about 6 months ago? I was knitting up a storm. At the time I really didn't have that big of a job at work. Only doing about 10 hours a week teching for Bio44. This is a scarf with yarn from NYC. I had just gotten back from a trip to NJ/NYC to visit Nicole at Princeton and got this really pretty yarn there! So pretty I had to take a picture.

No comments: