Thursday, June 18, 2009

25 Things: because I don't want to post this on facebook, it's going here.

1. For those wondering, and I know you're out there, I am 4'8" (almost). That's 142 cm.
2. I love arts and crafts, including basket-weaving and wire sculpting. I can list 28 types that I've dabbled in or mastered.
3. My parents own three 7-Elevens. I hate slurpees, but by the age of 7, I could sort and count up to $10,000 in mixed bills in a matter of minutes.
4. My favorite toys as a 5 year old were legos, toy cars, laser tag, and my teddybear.
5. I am obsessive compulsive. I used to do the crazy repetitive counting thing; the prefered number was 4. For the most part I have given up being obsessive compulsive, but now I am an unorganized slob.
6. My hair is two colors – half of the strands are brown and half are black. Does this mean codominance of the hair color trait?
7. My favorite animal in grade school and high school was the panda, in college it was butterflies and turtles, before grad school it was nudibranchs, then for a while it was penguins. Now I don’t have a favorite animal. I like diatoms.
8. I have been kicked out of a bar, twice.
9. I am a hopeless romantic, but in denial of it.
10. I love being outdoors, but I'm afraid of poisonous plants, like poison oak. I study pesticides, love insects, but hate "pests." Sometimes I think I'm solar powered, but then I can sit in the dark for days when it involves microscope work, museums/aquariums, or lying in bed.
11. I SCUBA. I am not afraid of 4 feet by 10 feet jellyfish, of getting tangled in kelp, or of octopi at night. However, I am afraid of most vertebrates underwater, including impossibly large lingcod, otters that bang on your tank, and curious seals that like to buzz past you.
12. I sample during storms with hurricane winds, and play. . .I mean, work. . .in mud and water.
13. When I'm frustrated, I will close myself in a dark room, close my eyes, and scream as loud as I can.
14. I will work on a research vessel for practically free (just give me access to a never ending supply of ice cream, red vines, and fresh tuna!) I have fallen asleep on a raft.
15. I cannot help collecting things at the beach and putting them in my pockets, like sea glass, shells, and rocks.
16. Ice Cream! (Phish food) GELATO! (cookies and cream, aka Oreogasmic!)
17. Favorite classes in college: American History through Literature with my major advisor David Kennedy. I don't know why but he inspired me. AND Subtidal communities with James Watanabe. He spends his life underwater in kelp forests, how is that not a dream?
18. I love big mugs and bowls, and small spoons.
19. I taught high school biology, chemistry, and American literature.
20. I can probably drink a glass of water or juice faster than anyone you know. I will drink from large juice cartons/containers, a habit formed in high school due to my gymnastics locker buddy who would buy liters of apple juice for me. Yes, I did gymnastics in high school. Before that stint as a gymnast, I tried doing track and field and failed miserably.
21. I can handle an incredible number of shots for my size (last count was 7-8) and not get a hang over in the morning.
22. I wish I was prettier, taller, and trendier, but I would not trade that in if it meant I had to be meaner, dumber, or more serious.
23. I went to medical school for almost 6 months.
24. In high school, a petition was signed by my friends and teachers that I indeed was silly. I don't know if I'm proud or embarrassed of this fact.
25. On random weekdays in college, I would turn on the Christmas lights, turn off the fluorescent overhead, and turn up the music for maximum dance-ability. I then would get my roommates and dorm mates to join in. Sometimes I think what I do is contagious. I never meant for "super cute" to be new slang for a year, or to have friends go quite so crazy about knitting. Although, I think that impromptu dance parties are golden.

1 comment:

Maulik said...

26. You are a hopeless computer scientist, but in denial of it

dance parties were indeed quite golden!!