
So what's been up since I went on crazy travel tour?
Came back to life at Berkeley.
Week of June 5: Started up in the lab. Since I'm the lowest on the totem pole, I get to do all the dirty work. . .as in I change water and I am the dish washer. The undergrads are all off on vacation, summer vacation that is, so I get to do all the undergrad work. Don't worry, I'm also supposed to be helping with the actual sampling and writing of papers and presentations. I present at two meetings this year; I'm a little worried needless to say.
Week of June 12: After an intense week working in the lab, I spent the next week identifying little freshwater algae, diatoms, and cyanobacteria in what my other advisor called an Algal Foray. Aren't they just so cute???
It was pretty exciting! Algal sex!
I loved taking samples and hanging out with people, and being in nature. Cute little froggie.
Are the froggies going to play?
There are some exciting projects I'm hoping to be a part of. However, I also realized, I like going home after doing all of that, and I do not like camping enough. I wish I lived closer to the Eel River to just go home after a long day of work. Tents, mice in the kitchen, poison oak, and too many bug bites just don't do it for me; however, it's so pretty up there!!! 
June 17: Went to mass for the one year anniversary of my grandmother's death. Got breakfast with my family and got a funny capsule guy.
Went to the farmer's market for some yummy stuffs, like this fruit tart.
My family then got together for lunch. Went to The Bead Shop for a bit. Went back home and met up with Melissa and Freecia to sew up some bags. I have to admit that it was difficult, but so much fun, and SO rewarding. My little sister and cousin were beading next to us, and poor Greg was caught in the middle of the crafting fest. Thanks for sitting with us Greg! With an hour dinner break in between, it took us from about 5:30-11:30 of interpreting patterns, cutting, pinning (or in my case not pinning, but praying), and sewing to come up with these!
I'm quite proud. Want a better look at mine? It's a little more chocolate brown. . .these pics are a little dark. . .

Do you like the last minute stitched design on it? Almost didn't do it, but can you imagine how plain it would have been if it was just plain brown? A little off-center, but I actually had wanted it more off-centered . . .oh well!

Isn't the inside pattern fun? A button and loop keep the shape of the bag.

Inside I sewed in a SUPER weak magnet. . .probably should have been patient and bought stronger ones, or a real clasp, but that's what I get for being impatient.
This is what it looks like expanded.OK, now it's back to working all week again. At the end of the week, there will be some field sampling in Chico and Davis. Then on Friday Tim comes in, hopefully shopping in SF Saturday morning, hang out with friends Sat. afternoon, wedding Sat. evening, Sunday possibly Monterey. OK, over and out!
2 comments:
oooo, I like your bags...I want one!! You'll have to teach me. I like the fabric that lines your bag & the fabric patterns on Melissa's & Freecia's bags...ooo I'm sooo jealous!
nice frog picture!
Post a Comment