Going out into the field is what keeps me going. Last week, I went out with my advisor and she reassured me that this is what I should be doing with the rest of my life. I think my enthusiasm finally came out in front of her, and I hope that she knows that going out in the field is what makes me happy, makes me feel like I'm doing something worth the while.
She is also an amazing natural historian, and I truly appreciate the knowledge that flows from her. When I'm out there alone, I often think about all those biologists and naturalists that have come before me. Sometimes their words are all I need to be inspired to do what I do.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
From my favorite AP Bio textbook:
"It is from these atoms—blown apart, formed, and re-formed over the course of several billion years—that all the stars and planets of our universe are formed, including our particular star and planet. And it is from the atoms present on this planet that living systems assembled themselves and evolved. Each atom in our own bodies had its origin in that enormous explosion 10 to 20 billion years ago. You and I are flesh and blood, but we are also stardust." Helena Curtis
This next one makes me feel like what I'm doing is worth it all:
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -John Muir
I am part of a lab that works on food web dynamics, and you can see why this last quote tugs at my own heart. I have said this before, but I say it again, we learn from those who came before us, and only in the study of history do we really and truly understand how significant previous knowledge is. In looking back, I can advance forward to push the limits of knowledge, if only a millimeter ahead.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment